Whip-It! contributing chef Gabriel Rucker of Portland’s famed Le Pigeon, Little Bird Bistro, and Canard loves using his Whip-It! brand stainless steel cream dispenser to make light as air crispy tempura batter. In fact, he says it’s one of his “favorite things to make with the dispenser.”
Anyone who’s made tempura batter from scratch knows achieving that perfectly crisp, almost ethereal outer crust takes skill…and perhaps a little science.
“Prior to discovering this technique, we would constantly make fresh batter during service but now we only make it once and the result is a far superior product. Some options you can make with tempura is: fish, chicken, vegetables, even a chocolate brownie. I’ve included step by step photos to follow along. This is a great tool to make something complicated into something easy and fun to do at home! “-Gabriel Rucker
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup ice cold seltzer water
- 2 tbsp vodka
- Whisk all ingredients together and place into a Whip-It! dispenser.
- Charge with two CO2 chargers. Shake and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a fryer to 375° F. When ready to fry, dispense batter into a bowl. Toss ingredient you wish to fry in rice flour and shake off excess. This will help the tempura stick in the fryer.
- Gently dip your floured item in batter then place in fryer. Cooking time depends on item you are frying.