The start of a new decade is a great incentive to push the restart button on your health and eating habits. Many of us make a resolution to do so on Jan. 1, but sticking to that resolution can be a tricky thing…especially when we’re bombarded by a plethora of Valentine’s Day treats a month later. An easy, fun way to “lighten up” and incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet is to use the Whip It” brand cream dispenser to inject texture and aeration into your favorite vegetarian or vegan recipes–like this delicious nut milk-based Frothy Vegan Cauliflower Soup. It’s so packed with umami flavor from the porcini mushroom powder and nutritional yeast you won’t even miss the parmesan cheese or cream.
Frothy Vegan Cauliflower Soup
Yield: Approximately 6-8 portions
- 2 T. olive oil
- ¼ c. finely diced onion
- 8 oz. cauliflower florets, coarse chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 T. dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 c. low sodium vegetable stock
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. porcini mushroom powder*
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 c. almond or cashew milk
- 1 t. nutritional yeast
- Saute the onion in olive oil until translucent, then add the cauliflower, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, black pepper, salt, porcini powder, and nutmeg. Continue to saute for about 1 min., then add the wine and stock. Simmer mixture for about 4-5 mins., then remove the bay leaf and thyme stem. Stir in the nut milk and nutritional yeast.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture into a blender and puree until very smooth. Strain the mixture through funnel/strainer into a .5 ltr Whip It! stainless steel cream dispenser. Secure the head fitted with a plain tip, then screw on one N2O charger. Vigorously shake the dispenser (about 13 times) to disperse the gas.
- Dispense the soup into cappuccino cups. Garnish each portion with a tiny pinch of fresh microgreens or chopped herbs and sprinkling of porcini powder.
*can be easily made by pulverizing dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder.